Sand Hill Baptist Church began in 1907 as a Methodist Sunday School. Three men belonging to the Old Union Methodist Church are credited for beginning this Sunday School. They were Frank Zittrauer, Alton Nease, and Hardy Shearhouse. As the community grew, more Baptists were attending than Methodists so it was decided that the church would be started as a Baptist church. On August 15, 1909 Sand Hill Missionary Baptist Church was organized. The charter members were Benjamin Crosby, Joe Crosby, Zarah and Indy Davis, L.B. Nease, Allison and Emily Woods, Henry and Illa Woods, Josh and Mary Woods, Milton Woods, and Rebecca Woods. The first pastor was Rev. S.S. Bland.
In 1925 the Ogeechee River flooded its banks sending flood waters down the church aisles. Disaster struck again in 1928 when the church building was destroyed by a tornado, but it did not destroy the faithfulness of its early members. They continued to hold services in their homes until 1930 when Mrs. Hattie Davis gave two acres of land on which the present building stands. Through the efforts of members and friends, materials were donated and a second wooden building was constructed. On June 11, 1967 a portion of the land was set aside for a cemetery. In May of 1970, plans were approved for the completion of an education building which included eight classrooms, three restrooms, and a social hall.
Construction began in January of 2003, on a new sanctuary and education space. The slab was poured on April 30, 2003. The construction of these facilities would go on for several more years until March 29, 2009 when a “Cross Over” service was held and we moved into the new sanctuary. On April 26, 2009, we humbly and thankfully dedicated these new facilities to our Lord, to be used in service to Him and for His glory.
Our church history would not be complete without honoring the members that have always been so faithful to the service of our Lord.